Features of the planned upgrade
• Two banks of two rechargeable backup batteries — four in all — for each siren.
• Electronic, all-directional sirens that don’t have to rotate, so there is less potential for malfunctions.
• Backup communications to activate the sirens, using radio, telephone and cell phones, with satellite capabilities to supplement cell phone coverage.
• A silent-testing feature that sounds the sirens at a pitch inaudible to the human ear but would show the sirens sounded.
• Will provide to the counties the capability to transmit messages to TVs, radios, telephones, cell phones, pagers, Blackberries®, and computers, even during weather-related events and accidents.
• Currently used successfully at two other Entergy nuclear power plants.
Source: Entergy Nuclear Northeast“